Its that time of the year. Its cold. Its burrrr…..
You really don’t want to wrestle up your last bit of wits and dwindling energy in the kitchen to make anything fancy or even that palatable…
But meat and potatoes…that’s a wild-man’s call, isn’t it? Even the most avid dietician will succumb to its call. There is something about that combination that doesn’t need hype or fixing or boosting which makes cooking a breeze.
So how can I make a healthier version of a Shepherd’s Pie? I decided to add cauliflower to some potatoes to oomph up the veggie factor and cut on carbs!
I can’t wait to fix it for my toddler and see what he says! It should be interesting!
Beef Shepherd Pie
A yours truely comfort dish, one pot pan dish that makes everyone craving for more!
- 2 big red onions diced into small pieces
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 knobs of ginger
- 3 red chillies
- 1.2 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp mutton masala (I use Sakthi masala)
- 1 large zucchini – unpeeled and diced
- 1 large yellow squash – unpeeled and diced
- 1 package of diced button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 frozen packet of cauliflower rice
- 3 russet potatoes cleaned and diced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1tbsp black pepper freshly ground
- In a medium deep stockpot, fill with water, salt it like the Mediterranean sea and place diced unpeeled potatoes to boil to cloudy softness.
- In a wide deep pan, start browning diced onion, garlic, red chillies and ginger with unflavored oil. Once browned and the raw smell is off, add the ground meat and brown until cooked through.
- Add the mutton masala and cumin powder and black pepper and salt as needed. S
- Add diced button mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash and cook until al-dente. Set aside.
- Take 2tbsp butter and brown under low heat for 10-15 minutes until a beautiful fragrant aroma of roasted hazelnuts hit you and the melted butter turns to light caramel brown. Set it aside to cool.
- Now line a baking tray with thin layer of oil and layer the minced meat and vegetable mix on the bottom. Preheat oven to 350 degree C.
- Drain the potatoes and peel the skin and mash to fluffy smoothness. Add the 2tbsp browned butter and heavy cream to it. Add salt as required and 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- Microwave the frozen pack of cauliflower rice as per package instructions.
- Mix the mashed potatoes and cauliflower rice and layer over the minced meat mixture.
- Lightly brush the top layer with milk and place in oven for baking for at least 20 minutes.
[caption id="attachment_101" align="alignnone" width="1536"] Brown Butter[/caption]
Serve with a light green salad.